I wanted to try the combo of corn and basil, so I modified Ina’s Confetti Corn recipe to my taste. Jacob and I both really liked it. I usually like some spices on my corn, but this was a nice change. Maybe in the summer I could use more of the stated ingredients, especially the fresh corn.
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil (I just used a little bit of the fat…I don’t think I even used oil)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (I used yellow)
- 1 small orange bell pepper, 1/2-inch diced (I used the roasted bell peppers in the jar)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Kernels cut from 5 ears yellow or white corn (4 cups) (I think I had about a cup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons julienned fresh basil, minced fresh chives, and/or minced fresh parsley leaves (basil!)
Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large saute pan. Add the onion and saute for 5 minutes, until the onion is soft. Stir in the bell pepper and saute for 2 more minutes.
Add the butter to the pan and allow it to melt. Over medium heat, add the corn, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 7 minutes, until the corn just loses its starchiness. Season to taste, gently stir in the basil or other green herbs, and serve hot.