I’ve never tried the infamous 3 ingredient sausage balls, but I’m pretty confident Kittencal’s version is much much better. She adds milk, more flavors, and uses italian sausage. Jacob and I ate 1/3 of the recipe in one night, so they must have been good! Every recipe’s ratio of Bisquick to sausage to cheese is different, and it would be interesting to compare. I would like to see if adding a little more bisquick would make these a little lighter and fluffier without drying them out. Or possibly using less Bisquick to make them more meaty. Maybe I’ll try using Erza Pound Cake’s ratios while still using the extra add-ins.
I served this with a mustard dip, also from Recipezaar. I really liked it and I would use it on sandwiches or a veggie dip. Jacob didn’t really like it by itself, but liked it combined with the sausage balls.
Make Ahead Bisquick Sausage Appetizers (Recipezaar)
7 dozen (approx) – I made 1/3 of the recipe and Jacob made 17 balls
- 3 cups Bisquick baking mix (measured out to exactly 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 lbs uncooked Italian sausage (casings removed)
- 1 teaspoon fresh minced garlic (about 1 large clove, can use more)
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 4 cups finely shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream or milk
- 1 pinch dried rosemary (I omitted this)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional or to taste, or can use Tabasco sauce)
- seasoning salt (optional, can use white salt)
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line a large baking sheet with foil, then spray lightly with cooking spray.
In a large bowl mix the Bisquick baking mix with uncooked sausage meat, parsley, garlic shredded cheese, Parmesan cheese, half and half (or milk) pinch dried rosemary and black pepper.
Using clean hands mix until well combined.
Season with cayenne and salt (if using). – I went ahead and mixed everything at once
Shape into about 1-inch balls and place onto the baking sheet.
At this point you can freeze them on a tray then place into ziploc bags to bake later.
Bake for about 20 minutes or until browned.
Remove from pan and place on a serving platter with a toothpick inserted.
- Serve warm with dipping sauce.
Versatile Mustard Dip/Sandwich Spread (Recipezaar)
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 (8 ounce) carton sour cream (low fat is ok)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- pepper, if desired
Combine all ingredients in mixing bowl.
Transfer to a plastic air-tight container.
Will keep in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks.