- Good crispy skin, but I won’t cover it with foil while resting.
- Rub/marinade was awesome. I mixed the two together by accident. Seemed fine that way though. Needs more on actual chicken and inside. Don’t rush!
- Only 1/2 of the lemon fit inside.
- Tie legs together, toothpicks don’t work
- Water in bottom of pan. This smokes a lot!
- I put onions underneath my rack. They were damn tasty, but I had to remove them after 30 minutes or so because they were starting to burn.
- Chicken took 1 hr 25 minutes to reach 165. Probably would have cooked faster if I had taken it out of the fridge sooner. Cooked well though, juicy in most places with mild flavor. Had to cover after 1 hr.
- Let rest for 15 minutes. 10 isn’t long enough, I lost a lot of juice. It will still be hot!
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons melted margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice (can use more lemon juice if desired)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons seasoning salt (or use as much as desired)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 whole lemon (poked all over with holes using a fork, can use 2 small lemons, if you don’t have any lemons an onio)
Rinse the chicken inside and out well under cold water, then pat dry using a paper towel.
In a small bowl mix the lemon juice with oil and melted butter until blended, then rub all over the chicken.
Using clean hands rub the inside and outside of the chicken with seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and cayenne (you can season the chicken under the skin also if desired).
Place the lemon/s inside the cavity.
Place the chicken into a baking dish (you can place the chicken onto a small roasting rack if desired and you may want to add in a little water to the pan to prevent smoking).
Using cotton string tie the legs together tightly.
At this point you may cover and refrigerate for up to 6 hours (not more than that or the acid in the lemon juice will start to “cook” the chicken).
Set oven to 450 degrees F.
Roast the chicken at 450 degrees for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400 degrees and continue roasting for about 40 minutes (or until the internal temperature reaches about 175 to 180 degrees F. about 1 hour or a little less).
Cover with foil and let sit for 15 minutes before slicing (do not slice before that time or the juices will flow out!).