Easy and awesome. I cooked for a good 4 hrs, then let it sit in the fridge. I processed it in the food processor before reheating to serve with pizza rolls.
Kittencal’s pizza sauce
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil or canola oil
- 1 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic (or use 1 teaspoon garlic powder or to taste)
- 3-4 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning (or to taste, I use 1 tablespoon)
- 2-4 teaspoons oregano
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes (can use tomato sauce in place of crushed tomatoes or use a combination of both if desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste, I use seasoned salt)
- black pepper (to taste) (optional)
- 1-2 teaspoon sugar (add in only if needed at the end of cooking) (optional)
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil; saute the onions, Italian seasoning and oregano for about 2-3 minutes, stirring until soft but not brown.
Add in garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Add in the tomato paste; stir and cook 1 minute.
Add in the remaining ingredients; cook and simmer on low heat for 1/2 to 3/4 hours, stirring occasionally, adding more salt if needed (the longer you cook this sauce the thicker and richer it will be!).
Cool slightly and use immediately or refrigerate up to 5 days or you may freeze.
*NOTE* freeze in plastic containers after cooled, I find that this sauce tastes even better if left in the fridge overnight to blend the flavors before using or freezing.