These are a fun way to use up some ground beef. I’ve never tried the standard grape jelly/chili sauce glaze, but from what I’ve read this recipe is a step above it. I used lipton onion soup mix, which was better than just regular diced onions. I baked the meatballs at 400 for about 10 minutes, but I’d try them simmering them in the sauce or using the crock-pot next. I just didn’t want to wait that long. 😛
There is a recipe on All Recipes for homemade chili sauce, which I would like to try some time. It has tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, and allspice.
Cocktail Meatballs (All Recipes)
Original Recipe Yield 10 servings
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons minced onion
- 1 (8 ounce) can jellied cranberry sauce (I used more)
- 3/4 cup chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, water, bread crumbs, and minced onion. Roll into small meatballs.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, turning once.
- In a slow cooker or large saucepan over low heat, blend the cranberry sauce, chili sauce, brown sugar, and lemon juice. Add meatballs, and simmer for 1 hour before serving.