Every once in a while I get a really strange urge to cook something I’ve never eaten before. I can’t explain it, but something draws me to recipes sometimes and I can’t get them out of my head. That was the case with these lettuce wraps. I’ve never been to P.F. Chang’s, I’ve never had chicken lettuce wraps, and honestly, I don’t even like Chinese food that much. But somehow, this recipe made it onto my menu for this week. I even purchased sesame oil, which I could only find a few other recipes I would ever make that call for it. So it was a risky dinner, but a part of me KNEW these would be awesome.
And they were. Jacob inhaled them and drank every last ounce of the special sauce. I loved every part of them and was pretty bummed when I realized the recipe was for 2-3 servings and there wouldn’t be any leftovers.
However, I did make a lot of changes. Here is the original recipe, and below is the ingredients with my changes and my revised instructions.
P.F. Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps (Recipezaar)
- 3 tablespoons oil (I used a little less, and I picked canola oil)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (3 b/s chicken thighs)
- 1 cup water chestnut (1 can, minus a few)
- 2/3 cup mushroom
- 3 tablespoons chopped onions (Completely forgot, green onions would have been nice. I threw in a little onion powder)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4-5 leaves iceberg lettuce (I would prefer chopping the lettuce and making a salad)
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used a tiny bit less, because some people thought it was too sweet)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hot mustard (yellow mustard with a small spoonful of horseradish – authentic, no, but it worked)
- 2 teaspoons water (left out)
- 1-2 teaspoon garlic and red chile paste (a little garlic powder and a few sprinkles of red pepper flakes)
- Cornstarch slurry
STIR FRY SAUCE
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- Combine all special sauce ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to boil and whisk frequently, then reduce and add cornstarch slurry. Take off heat after it’s thickened some. I put in the fridge for a little bit, and if desired, it can be re-warmed.
- Combine stir fry sauce ingredients.
- Heat oil in medium skillet on medium heat.
- Mince garlic in food processor, then add mushrooms (roughly chopped,) water chestnuts, and onion. Fry in oil, stirring frequently. After a minute, add half of stir fry sauce.
- Grind chicken thighs in food processor and season before adding to veggies. After a minute, add rest of stir fry sauce.
- Cook veggie/chicken mixture until chicken is cooked and it becomes a little less liquid-y. Stir often.
- Serve veggie/chicken mixture in lettuce leaves (or preferably, on chopped lettuce). Pour sauce into individual cups, and pour over chicken.