I’ve posted about this before, but it was so amazingly good tonight that it deserves it’s own post. I made some changes, which included way less oil, lots of lemon juice and red wine vinegar, dijon mustard, onion powder, and Greek oregano from Central Market. That Greek oregano…it really is so much better than regular oregano. The ideas for the changes came from another recipe I found. I can’t really give measurements because I eyeballed everything. I used about equal parts oil, lemon juice, and red wine vinegar. It was probably close to around 2 tbsp of each. I had enough dressing for 2 tomatoes, 1 big fat cucumber, and a head of romaine. The only other thing I added was feta cheese. I made the dressing in the morning, let it sit on the counter, then added the veggies and tossed about 30 minutes before dinner. No fridge necessary!
Kittencal’s Famous Greek Salad Recipe
- 1 cup olive oil (can reduce to 3/4 cup)
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I just use the juice from 1 whole lemon)
- 2-4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons fresh minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 large romaine lettuce, chopped (or use 2 small)
- 2-3 plum tomatoes, cut in wedges (use Roma tomatoes)
- 1 English cucumbers (peeled, seeded and chopped)
- 1 red onions, cut in slices
- 1 green bell peppers (seeded and cut into rings or sliced)
- 1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled (or to taste)
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- For the dressing; in a processor or use a wire whisk process/whisk the olive oil with lemon juice, oregano, garlic, basil, red wine vinegar, salt and sugar until smooth (start with 2 tablespoon lemon juice and 2 teaspoons oregano adding in more if desired after mixing).
- Season with black pepper.
- Chill in fridge for a couple of hours before using to blend flavors.
- Place the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing over; toss to combine.
- If desired allow the salad to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving, or you can refrigerate for 1 hour (tossing a few time during sitting time).
Here is the other recipe I looked at!
Absolutely Fabulous Greek/House Dressing (All Recipes)
- 1 1/2 quarts olive oil
- 1/3 cup garlic powder
- 1/3 cup dried oregano
- 1/3 cup dried basil
- 1/4 cup pepper
- 1/4 cup salt
- 1/4 cup onion powder
- 1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
- 2 quarts red wine vinegar
- In a very large container, mix together the olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, basil, pepper, salt, onion powder, and Dijon-style mustard. Pour in the vinegar, and mix vigorously until well blended. Store tightly covered at room temperature.