I love finding recipes for vegetable salads that fill you up and hang out in the fridge until you want some more! This recipe seemed really interesting, and it gave me an excuse to try arugula. Fortunately, I bought a spinach/arugula mix because I discovered raw arugula is pretty gross. In the salad, it was ok but I won’t be buying it again. The salad itself was pretty good. Not amazing, but Erin actually asked me to make more of it so that’s a plus! The combo of ingredients work well together, but I guess it’s a little too apple=cider vinegary for me. Maybe I’ll sub some balsamic next time. I decreased the amount of oil and mix-ins, and substituted feta for the blue cheese.
Roasted Carrot Salad (All Recipes)
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1 (4 ounce) package crumbled Danish blue cheese
- 2 cups arugula
1. Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Combine the carrots, almonds, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with the olive oil, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread out onto an ungreased baking sheet.
3. Bake the carrots in the preheated oven until soft and the edges turn brown, about 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature.
4. Once cool, return the carrots to the mixing bowl, and drizzle with honey and vinegar; toss until coated. Add the cranberries and blue cheese; toss again until evenly mixed. Combine with the arugula and serve immediately.