I’ve made zucchini patties before, with mozzarella as part of the mix and served with marinara. These zucchini cakes had parmesan instead, and lots of panko. These were pretty bread crumb heavy, but I purposely did that so they would hold together and make a perfect patty shape. This recipe is from Life’s Ambrosia. I also referred to Pioneer Woman’s Zucchini Cake recipe for good pointers and pictures.
Makes: 8 cakes
You will need:
- 1 large zucchni grated, excess water removed (Note: To do this, after you grate the zucchini, put the grated zucchini into paper towels and squeeze to release the water)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- sprinkle of ground nutmeg, about 1/8 teaspoon (Note: If you add too much it can quickly take over the taste, less is more)
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all ingredients, except olive oil, in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Using a heaping tablespoon form the mixture into 8 patties.
- Heat olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Once heated, add patties and cook until golden brown. About 3-4 minutes per side. Serve.
These are great when served with a dollop of ranch dressing.